- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 4 Tbsp. chili powder (*not cayenne, see recommendations for brands and tips on reducing the heat level if you don’t like spicy sauces below*)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute.
- Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through oregano). Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.
Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Original recipe and image from Gimme Some Oven.